An interview with Bob Budiansky!!!!



PJs:
Sleepwalker was introduced to the world in the early 90s. I've read that his story began for you much earlier than that but 1991 seemed to be the year when the world was ready for Sleepwalker. Your story captures the life for a young man in the 1990s as Rick becomes a filmmaker, attempts to begin a relationship with a beautiful young woman and tries to find his place in the world.  It also touched on much larger issues as people started looking beyond their own neighborhoods and started seeing injustice and a loss of freedom around the world. Your 33 plus issues create a wonderful time capsule for the time period, almost 28 years ago. Do you expect that Marvel will re-release the original Sleepwalker issues into a trade format? What does this very interesting take on the classic monster story offer for today's new comic readers?

BB:
I can't speculate on what Marvel's plans are concerning Sleepwalker. Since I left Marvel, no one at Marvel has ever consulted with me on its publishing plans for Sleepwalker. As for what Sleepwalker offers today's new comic readers, that's another question for which I don't have much of an answer. I haven't been involved in the comics industry for a while, so I don't consider myself qualified to comment on the interests or character of new comic readers. 


PJs:
Your Sleepwalker story connects the fantastic imagination of the comic book fan to the main characters in the story. A reader is certain to make connections to their personal lives, worrying about mundane life at times but still being full of fantasic ideas when we daydream, when we sleep. 

The character of Rick Sheridan knew when it was time to let Sleepwalker step in and take care of the situation. The storyline reminds me of this Emily Dickinson poem:

we dream - it is good we are dreaming

we dream - it is good we are dreaming
it would hurt us - were we awake
...
cautious - we jar each other
and either - open the eyes
lest the phantasm - prove the mistake
and the livid surprise

Which authors and or books connected with you as you grew to be a writer, an editor and a creator?

BB:
Lovely Dickinson poem. Tough question--you're asking me about my literary influences from over 40 years ago. Well, certainly within the realm of comic books, the stories of Stan Lee, Gardner Fox and John Broome made a great impression upon me during my formative years. More specifically, the books they wrote that I read included Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Justice League of America, Green Lantern, Flash, Atom and Hawkman. I also read a lot of science fiction: lots of books by Robert Heinlein--Stranger in a Strange Land most prominently comes to mind--and a bit later on, Frank Herbert's Dune and its sequels. I'm sure there were many other books that made an impression on me as well, but I don't remember them. 

PJs:
Creating a comic book is certainly a team effort. Blevins, Manley, Krantz, Leonardi, Slott, Kirkman and many others have helped develop the Sleepwalker story.  Through all this collaboration, you've never let the main characters, Rick Sheridan and Sleepwalker, to become static. Their relationship grew over time, beginning with the wonderful idea that they would leave messages for each other on Rick's answering machine.  I am very interested to know how the Sleepwalker character began to grow into that fantasticly grotesque creature as the story line developed. Was this your idea as a writer or did the illustrators make that decision? I can also see this happening as a board room decision, as well.

BB:
Sleepwalker's form evolved into the "fantastically grotesque creature," as you describe him, due to market pressures. I originally conceived him as a lean, lanky bug-eyed alien, which is the way Bret Blevins initially drew him. But at the time he debuted, the look that was sweeping through many other Marvel comics and seemed very popular with fans was that of impossibly over-muscled characters like Cable. Sleepwalker editor Don Daley felt that Sleepwalker's physique should be adapted to that look since he felt that was what the fans of that time responded to, so he asked Bret and subsequent artists to pump up Sleepwalker and turn him into the steroid-inflated mass of muscles he would eventually become. It was not a look I was all that happy with, but Don was trying to do what he thought would help boost sales. 

PJs:
I am thrilled to see Sleepwalker reappearing in Marvel comics on a regular basis.  Any dream team ups? Would you consider returning to the character? 

BB:
I don't have any dream team-ups rattling around my imagination. Maybe I did back in the 90's when I was writing the book, but I don't give Sleepwalker much thought now in terms of writing stories, so I don't think about whom I'd like him to team up with. And yes, I would certainly consider returning to write the character. I loved writing Sleepwalker and I love the character. Marvel, if you're out there listening, I'm available!

PJs:

I am so honored that you would take the time to answer my questions.  I wanted to ask questions that I had not read elsewhere.  It has been a pleasure to connect with folks around this character.

BB:
Let me know if you have any further questions.


Comments

Popular Posts